Thursday 18 March 2010

Getting started - new semester

Well, it's taken some time to settle into this semester. My presentation of previous practice and developing current practice has been made. I believe that this went reasonably well. I outlined my career history to date; freelance graphic designer, then some part-time lecturing alongside, full-time lecturing, education management and returning to lecturing for HE. My current practice is related to the first module of this MA (work discussed in previous blogs) and my search for a direction within graphic arts. 

Through the presentation I was able to identify some of the research methods utillised by the influential artists and designers that I acknowledged and considered research methods to be adopted myself alongside my developing practice. I want to consider approaches to work and review trends and styles from the early part of the last century through to current work. I am particularly interested in current trends for work away from the computer; hand drawn typography, collage, printmaking etc. Particularly work that takes influence from the 50's and emphasises collage, 'paste up', juxtposition of type/lettering and other graphic elements. Reid Miles' Blue Note work is a real favourite. Whilst 'away from the computer' starting points are important, I will want to utilise the technology for output where appropriate.

I was disappointed that ony a few the other students in the Research Methods tutor group did not not attempt to consider research methods employed by their 'influential' artists as that would have been a further awareness raising opportunity for me, looking at approaches to other art & design disciplines away from graphics.

I am now beginning further research into a broader range of influences for assignment two.

No comments:

Post a Comment