Wednesday 15 December 2010

Screen printing K onto Digita CMY

Screen printed 'K' onto digital 'CMY'
From earlier posts you will see that I was becoming frustrated by the idiosyncrasies of digital printing. Having set up printing profiles for relevant the program, computer, paper and printer it remained frustrating to find that on a different day, with the same settings that the printed outcome could be visually different. Clearly there could be issues such as temperature cartridge levels affecting results. Over and above these issues I was conscious that the ink jet black from cmyk prints was never 'rich' in halftone output. Therefore I tested the idea of printing CYM from digital print and overprinting the 'K' black by screenprinting. I set this up as a trial print on small dimensions. Indeed the resulting black from the screenprint gave a much fuller contrast of black. The image posted here may not show this terribly well - (I only photographed it on my phone) - but the results re there to compare in the paper versions. In carrying out this testing it has reminded me that with the right image output to film, that screen printing allows for fuller control over colour and contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment