Tuesday 13 April 2010

Assignment 2 into assignment 3

Gradually pulling together research into 20+ artists/designers I have become increasingly aware of the chronological and 'contemporaries' links between the practitioners that I have selected. In choosing artists/designers that match at least 3 of my criteria for practice that influence and have made an impression on me I am finding many crossovers; links where one practitioner has taught another or been a contemporary of others. This has given me a greater insight to and an understanding of the work of many practitioners and the developing styles and trends that I have for many years admired.

My 5 research Criteria have now been refined to:

space/juxtaposition
period/trend
• type/typography/print
abstract/collage
• humour

In considering my shortlist of five practitioners and selecting one artist/designer to present a case study on my focus has been on Alan Fletcher. I am able to trace his career history back through influential teachers and contemporaries that have interested me and influenced my style and appreciation of works. Additionally, I find that the choices he made in the latter stages of his career to work freelance (after the major corporate organisation of Pentagram) and consider the creativity in his work for himself inspiring. In my own search for development of 'new' practice I find his interest in design as an ongoing ellment of his life, not just a Monday to Friday rat race inspiring and intriguing.


No comments:

Post a Comment