Wednesday 28 April 2010

Assignment 3 and beyond







I was disappointed with my assignment 3 presentation as I ran out of time to discuss the work of the chosen practitioner, Alan Fletcher. In taking the time to address research criteria and research methods in respect of my own practice i did not leave the time to discuss individual examples of Fletcher's work. If I had had the opportunity to do this I feel that I could have given a clearer explanation of my selections relating to my own intended work.

However, following my presentation, I have now moved on to some of my own work which has been inspired by some of the practitioners that I investigated through assignment 2 leading to the assignment 3 presentation. The presentation, based on Alan Fletcher whose work I have admired for some time focussed on his later wok which was inspired by his own investigations and not necessarily by client driven expectations. Through my previous career, my design work has been pretty much directed by client requirements and budgets. Therefore I now see my current study as an opportunity to investigate approaches and processes of my choice; beginning with the intention of generating starting points from non digital sources.

Some of the content of Fletcher's creative/experimental work such as his collages has inspired me. (He was obviously a real hoarder of printed ephemera). Equally, through my assignment 2 research I came across Richard Meier, an architect who creates collages from found ephemera whilst on his business travels. He identifies that his work has no intended meaning, but is instead an opportunity to deal with the aesthetics and balance of the work for himself. From these reference points I have been making some small collages from printed ephemera based on themes related to periods/trends during my lifetime. The work mainly concentrates on the organisation of space/juxtapositions although there is some reflection here: My father's ill health and his inability to now make music - he was a talented jazz guitarist and music writer, so there is ephemera related to this. Everyday ephemera; postmarks and correspondence and journeys/travel. I am now considering how I can develop initial collages into extended pieces of work, either digital or further mixed media approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment