Tuesday 20 September 2011

Medical Cards - progress

I have been continuing with this set of cards outlined in a previous posting. The set of 'Hearts' and 'Spades' are now complete and are posted here. There are a few omissions for the 'Clubs' and 'Diamonds' and these will be posted shortly. I have been trying to complete, on average, one card per day to realise the full set. I have endeavoured to stick to a set of rules with regard to ephemera included in the collages: main imagery from a 1953 'First Aid' guide book; supporting elements from my 'left overs' of ephemera cuttings which clutter my desktop; a dip into my old Letraset and Letrafilm collection and some snippets of billboard posters for some coloured tone.

My intentions are to get a limited edition of sets of these 'playing cards' printed to realise the original intention. Cards that are, first and foremost created and organised to be considered for their visual juxtapositions and aesthetic appeal relating to the starting point of  ephemera from the last century; rather than for perhaps, an intended practical purpose (see earlier post) of game cards.

I am interested in further considerations of visual aesthetic for both the individual cards - will these have the same visual balance/appeal at a larger size? Can they form the basis of 'lo-fi' screen prints? How do they all relate visually in  'sets' and 'sub-sets' as multiples. (See previous posting on artists stamps)


No comments:

Post a Comment