Thursday 29 September 2011

Sayonara, Home Run.... the little coloured dots



Having had the serendipitous find of the book 'Sayonara, Home Run' - a record of 1930s-1960s Japanese baseball cards - in an end of print/bankrupt stock book shop in Place St Michel,  Paris, on a recent visit, I have been investigating the idea of replicating the coarse screen four colour printing of that era. I have been experimenting with this influence as an approach to developing some of my collage work at larger scale whilst retaining something of that 'period' feel which is important to me for the direction of my process development this Semester. I will be posting more on my research leading from the book and collages,  but in the meantime here's a link to another interesting investigation/record of the media: http://4cp.posterous.com/?tag=specialeditions

Whilst I will continue to investigate the medium of collage and the aestheic of juxtaposed imagery, I see this as a starting point for visual elements that I can develop with further processes. What is key to me is that I continue to consider and define what it is about period ephemera and the organisation/juxtaposition and balance of elements on the page that creates the overall aesthetic for the viewer. The opportunity to explore the 'little coloured dots' associated with the 'lo fi' print processes of mid-last century will add another opportunity to investigate the visual aesthetic that associated with that era.

No comments:

Post a Comment