Friday 26 November 2010

Laser cutting relief print blocks




After experimenting with some further settings to get depth of cut and detail acceptable I have now cut some sample test blocks from perspex on the laser cutter. I have tested halftones from both dot and line screens to consider the most acceptable effects. Having reviewed the cutting, both have worked successfully and whilst I am now going to print from these blocks it will be interesting to pursue this process and investigate how refined I can make the halftones and still achieve a successful cut from the lasercutter. The halftone I have used at this stage are from 300dpi images processed into 21 lines per inch halftone screen. On this basis i should be able to reduce the dpi resolution and still achieve enough detail for the cut. My previous test was based on a 33 lines per inch halftone. at this resolution the laser cutter was having difficulty resolving the image and odd, herringbone morais patterns were appearing from the laser cutting. I will post some of the printed outcomes as soon as they available.

In addition to cutting these perspex relief blocks I have also experimented with a rubber/vinyl sheet (used as a synthetic lino for lino-printing). This seems to cut well on the laser cutter and I will print a test piece to judge the success. It seems to have achieved the same level of detail as the perspex with a quicker scan/cut time. If this is successful, this will be a preferred material as the material is flexible and will provide an improved print surface to the perspex.


Some images above of the laser cutter at work.

1 comment:

  1. is't vinyl corrosive ? I all ways thought it is not good for you and your laser ? btw cool blog, very good

    ReplyDelete