Thursday 11 November 2010

Frustrations of digital print

Bitmapped halftone
Flat colour and mezzotint tones
Mezzotint textures
Image deconstruct
This last week has seen a frustrating series of events for me. In developing the Babel collages to compare printing methods - screenprinting/digital - I have experienced a succession of failed attempts to output colour matched digital prints of my designs developed from my 'There are official searchers... inquisitors' collage. These problems have been due to mis-calibrated screens and printer profiles both on Hewlet Packard and Epsom kit. I now seem to have resolved these issues by calibrating both screen and profiles for my Mac' and am beginning to get print results that I might expect from the screen images. Experimenting with paper stock has also provided alternative results; ranging from plain, average quality cartridge paper to Epsom coated high white water colour paper. To some extent I prefer outcomes on the plain, lower quality paper.

Additionally, to cap all these print frustrations.... I rather foolishly left a folder of my initial prints at UWE after a tutorial on Tuesday of this week. Therefore I have had to re-print each example. In some ways this has had its benefits, it has allowed me to further consider and investigate the control of digital print output and results are improving.

After this series of frustrations I am now becoming sick of the sight of this piece of work! So.. I am now planning just a few extensions to this work before moving on to other material: experimenting with screen printing the final K separation on top of inkjet output CMY and also after an introduction to the laser cutter the idea of burning/cutting the K separation on top of the inkjet CMY. One extra investigation might be some lasercut relief/intaglio printing blocks from the grayscale halftone image.

No comments:

Post a Comment