Monday 12 October 2009

My Typeface badge



Considering the task set last Thursday - design a badge to represent me/relevant typeface - could have been a difficult choice. However, I couldn't overlook the typeface that I have returned to time and time again in my work - Gill Sans. The versatility of this family and its links to formative stages of the development of graphic communication during the last century continue to interest me.

In developing my badge(s) I wanted to make some immediate and recognisable visual links to support my choice so have include Gill's links to Johnston's typeface for the London Underground, commissioned in 1913. Gill was apprenticed to Johnston at this time and later used the typeface as his inspiration when designing his font Gill Sans used initially for LNER in 1929. 
Additionally I looked at the use of Gill Sans in the up-date of  Penguin book jacket designs carried out in 1950 by Jan Tschichold

There are many visual references that I could have considered in this excercise but wanted to achieve the clear recognition and links for this typeface. I'm not sure what my choice of typeface says about me, although I'd like to think that it links with my ordered approach to typography and my consideration for balance and alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment