Sunday 18 October 2009

Progress with "50 Things"






I have been considering numerous approaches to further outcomes for this task including: processing the information as a piece of formal information design; developing the theme of "paste-up" . In exploring the information graphics approach I tried to consider categorisation of my topics/statements and where categories overlapped. The results of this were becoming too diagramatic and I felt that I should call a halt to this. 

After a visit to the Library at the Bower Ashton Campus and some general visual research I considered some further approaches relating the work to traditional processes to graphic artwork (paste up). "The New Handmade Graphics" - Rotovision. (Derek Birdsall - his approaches to art direction) He is dismissive of the the value of digital technology in graphic design - he points out two fundamental flaws,  first "that objects cannot be physically picked up and moved around; secondly that there is a restricted sense of scale"  I wanted to explore the potential of some printmaking and physical paste-up, however, the rather painful bout of sciatica that I currently have prevents me being on my feet for too long or moving around easily. So, I have explored the idea/theme of paste-up as a digital mock up. Unfortunately, I felt that this work started to take on the "linear design" visual aesthetic of appearance rather than considering  alternative links/ideas to hang the work on.

I then struck on the idea that my 50 Things topics/titles might just be the sort of "one off" and in some contexts meaningless messages that might be seen on T shirts worn by anybody. So I worked on the idea of developing a "merchandise sheet" as if these titles or messages could be sold as printed "statement" T shirts. What would these titles or statements mean to anybody? probably nothing out of context of the original list... but hey, don't we all wear T shirts with seemingly meaningless messages, titles, slogans or graphics on them at some time?

No comments:

Post a Comment