Sunday 10 October 2010

Library of Babel





Following on from my initial collages on the theme of the Library of Babel I have re-read the text and considered further collages as illustrations of elements of the text. In terms of style I have been looking again at the work of MartinO'Neil and Sarah Hanson for inspiration and mthods of visual research. I have considered a series of illustrations based on the dimensions of Filofax pages; selecting sentences form the text to work with. In doing this I am considering the effect of continuity that might be achieved by seeing the pages of illustrations develop a building representation of the text.

In doing this I am also exploring the differences between the purely handmade quality of the original collages and that of  further digital manipulation of  these works. Can the addition of digital mark making and colourising (in the way that Sarah Hanson works) improve upon the originals or des this digital 'interference' somehow spiol or interfere with the original image generation. Attached are examples of the first three collages after digital additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment