Saturday 2 October 2010

A Start to 'Analysing Practice'

dhcmrlchtdj
Axaxaxas
A new semester and a start to a new theme: 'The Library of Babel'. After reading the text through many times, annotating on each reading, I was aware that whether you read sections or the full text that - as for the 'Library' - ones perceptions and interpretations might be infinite. As the interpretation is a focus for next weeks seminar session I wont, at this time, go into my own perceptions. This said I have begun to bring together some printed ephemera and build some collages in response. For one I have taken the theme of the hexagonal motif and the title of one of the books in one of the hexagons in the care of the author. For another some of the statistics related in the text: Shelves of 35 books; books of 410 pages; pages of 40 lines; lines of 80 characters etc.

What I am finding in approaching this work with collage.... to avoid the obvious of developing text based responses on the computer - is that in wishing to illustrate a specific theme, my collection of ephemera (for the purpose of collage) is clearly limited. I now have to consider ways in which to extend this collection. Some time at car boots, scondhand shops, bric-a-brac stalls are coming my way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment